Play Therapy for Children
Play Therapy for Children?
Play therapy is a structured, research-supported approach that builds on the normal communicative and learning processes of children. Family Innovations is proud to offer play therapy in our Minneapolis area locations. An innovative and positive breakthrough in therapy, this approach (offered by our registered play therapists) helps children in many ways.
How does the child benefit from play therapy?
Through play therapy children can:
- Become more responsible for their behaviors
- Develop more successful strategies
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others
- Learn to experience and express emotion
- Cultivate empathy and respect for the thoughts and feelings of others
- Develop self-efficacy and confidence in their abilities
Play therapy may also be used to promote cognitive development and provide insight about and resolution of inner conflicts or dysfunctional thinking in the child. Play provides a safe psychological distance from their problems and allows expression of thoughts and feelings appropriate to their development. The average course of treatment is twenty play therapy sessions.